18/03/2009

BASKET CASE (1982)

Day #45

You know, lying on my bunk listen to the wind moan endlessly outside the igloo, I often think about who might be reading these very scribblings.

What about you, reader? Do you have the time to listen to me whine about nothing and everything all at once?

I am one of those melodramatic fools. Neurotic to the bone, no doubt about it!

Sometimes, I give myself the creeps. Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me.It all keeps adding up. I think I'm cracking up - am I just paranoid?

Anyway, enough of such musings. Here comes a completely unrelated and unexpected film:


BASKET CASE (1982)

As Basket Case ends, the only possible reaction is to laugh incomprehensibly, shake your head and say “What the f…?” quietly to yourself. It’s essential viewing for any sicko. Any depraved and semi-intelligent mind. Any murderous, cretinous individual. I loved it.

Sure, there’s no budget (there’s an in-joke that the roll of cash that belongs to our hero Duane was the film’s entire budget), the acting is piss-poor and some of the stop-motion special effects look like they could have been made by a 6-month old Ray Harryhausen – BUT! To compensate, we’ve got enough imagination, passion, wit and outright depravity to make it the classic that is.

Duane Bradley turns up at the Broslin Hotel, with a fabulously post-punk mop of hair and checks into room 7 for a 'few days'. I almost forgot – he’s carrying a wicker basket. What’s in the basket?

It’s the soul of Marsellus Wallace!

Only joking. It’s his Siamese twin. A hideous mutant.

And together, they’re gonna get medieval on the asses of the group of doctors that performed the operation to detach them!

Luckily, Duane’s brother is incredibly bloodthirsty and pretty nimble for a… for his height, and in no time at all, blood is flowing thick and fast and the bodies are mounting up.

Unluckily, Duane’s brother is also pretty hard to control. And the guests and managers of The Broslin Hotel aren’t too happy with his room-trashing, moon-howling and guest-murdering antics.

In between plotting his revenge, Duane finds time for a little romance as he catches the eye of the ladies. And it's great to see that the women in Basket Case are fabulously chunky. Without exception they’re all carrying some extra poundage which has the strange effect of making them woman shaped and not like skinny adolescent boys. Modern film-makers take note. Woman have curves. What I’m trying to say is:


The end comes all too soon, when Duane’s brother wanders off to find Duane’s love interest Sharon. He creeps into her room and does something fairly unspeakable to her. This puts a terrible strain on the brothers’ relationship. A strain that leaves both of them dangling from the Hotel Broslin sign… is it too late to make amends? Will brotherly love overcome adversity?

Yes and no. They fall and die.

Or. Do. They?

Trailer:

8 comments:

  1. Aw man, I LOVE this movie! Absolutely awesome in every respect. Just watching the trailer again makes me want to rewatch the whole film. Actually I've got the 2 sequels I still haven't seen which must be good. Maybe I'll do that tonight.
    "What's in the basket....?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't rewatched this since I was a teenager. Maybe it's time to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this one too, but I still haven't seen the sequels. I've heard two is even more depraved in some aspects...so, again--not sure why I haven't seen it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw yeah, this one was classic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Belial (if that's how you spell it). I love that little guy. I've seen the sequels, and you get to see him start a family of Belials, with mom and kids etc. For real. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't seen this movie in forever. I've got to get my hands on a copy and check it out again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this movie, It's coming up soon on my netflix queue but I may have to move it to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see you're still at it - off to follow you on twitter

    ReplyDelete